Authors like Seth Godin and Malcolm Gladwell have written works that have inspired countless readers to change how they view the world. But that isn’t exactly what I look for in a book. For me, the real triumph of written works is books that inspire people to take action and improve themselves.
The following is a list of the nine books that have changed not just how I view the world, but more importantly, how the world views me.
The Nine Books That Inspired Me to Improve Myself
9. Drink, Play, F@#k – Andrew Gottlieb (Inspired me to get reading again)
8. Iceland, India, Interstate – Colin Wright (Inspired me to share my travel experiences with others)
7. Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury (Inspired me to revisit the classics)
6. The War of Art – Steven Pressfield (Inspired me to embrace my creativity)
5. Vegabonding – Rolf Potts (Inspired me to take the leap to Argentina)
4. In Defense of Food – Michael Pollan (Inspired me to take action on my diet)
3. Bird by Bird – Anne Lamott (Inspired me to love writing again)
2. 1984 – George Orwell (Inspired me to write a novel)
1. The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho (Inspires me to do more… repeatedly)
The Important Part!
These are only the books I have had the privilege of reading. I am sure there are more out there.
What books have shaped you? What works have you read that have inspired you to take action and improve yourself?
P.S. Some of the links above are affiliate links. This means I earn a small percentage of the sale if you choose to buy the books. That said, these really are my favorite books and I recommend them even if you don’t buy them via my links above. They are really fantastic!
P.P.S. Thanks to Hailee Rustard for the idea for this post. :-)